Saturday, February 21, 2009

February 16-20, 2009

This week I have really come into my own. I am using skills I have learned, and seeking advice when I need it. Confidence is one of the greatest tools I have. I am enjoying planning all day (except for writing) and really feeling like the class is my own. There can be times when I think I might like to do things a little differently and I tuck those ideas away for my future classroom. I am becoming well acquainted with the staff and school and am loving the freedom it gives me. I am learning to find a balance between serious teacher talk, and candid talks with the students. It is helping the class run more smoothly.

What I have learned this week:
It is important for students to know what really matters. This allows them to not stress about trivial things. I am learning that the classroom should be a place for joyful learning. We don't always have to be absolutely quiet and uptight. Children learn better when they are relaxed and feel safe and accepted. As I give the students more respect and consideration they give the same to me. I have really enjoyed learning about each and every student. Each one has something to bring to the class. Their personalities have brightened my life and I am learning to take something from every experience. Up to this point I have been teaching with my head, and this week I realized that I need to teach with my head AND my heart. I am continually amazed at just how much I am taking from this experience. It is awesome!

Kaighty

No comments: