Saturday, January 9, 2010

Gigi's 90th Birthday/Goal Update/Scripture Reading

Happy 90th Birthday Gigi!

Today was my Gigi's 90th Birthday. We had a fabulous family get together/party for her birthday. I know that we take Gigi for granted because she doesn't seem anywhere close to 90! It is crazy how active and with it she is. It was fun to get a picture of all of us and just enjoy the company. Hopefully I will have more pictures to post soon!

My goals are going pretty good so far. I have been reading my scriptures everyday and have been excited to start going to Institute and have made some new friends. We have also decided to start an FHE group. We start Monday at my house, and I am making chocolate pie with graham cracker crust and whip cream! I think this is going to be super exciting! Laundry has been pretty successful thus far (Thanks to the help of Lizz). And temple attendance will resume once again on January 23rd, I cannot WAIT to go!! Saving money is one of those terrible things that I am not good at, but I will keep on trying. As for the rest I feel as though I love my family and friends, I am excited for voice on Tuesday, and taking time for me is coming in small but adequate doses!

During my scripture reading I have had some interesting insights. I feel like things are starting to make more sense to me and have a real life application. I have read the Book of Mormon before, but I feel like this time I am able to apply scripture to my life even more. As I was reading in 1 Nephi, he was talking about Lehi's vision. I was reading about the iron rod and the tree, and how Lehi wished his family would partake of the fruit. He spoke of the iron rod and how the people were holding tight and walking to the tree to partake of the fruit. As the mist of darkness came those people who had ALREADY partaken of the fruit fell away because of the temptations of the Devil.

And it got me thinking (Okay so this is an elementary concept I should have connected a LONG time ago, but I am trying people!) the fruit is the love of God, it is His truth and his word. This overwhelming sense of sadness came over me, these people knew God, they knew His word and His love, and they were still tempted to stray. It broke my heart to think this is possible. To think that bad things have happened to people with a testimony and instead of clinging to God's love, they withered away into Satan's domain and were left to feel sorrow and an ache that will never be filled. I never want anyone to know what that feeling is like.

This makes me want to remind people of what they have. It makes me want to share the gospel with EVERYONE! I wish I was braver, I wish I knew HOW! But I vow to try harder, because the sorrow I feel at this very thought moves me to action. I love this gospel! It is true, and I have taken it for granted, because I always knew it was there, it was comfortable and easy and safe. But how dare I do that! I have the true and restored gospel of Jesus Christ! I want to be better!

1 comment:

Andrea N said...

Your grandma is not 90! Is that her sitting down, cause that lady is not 90! If I live to be her age, I hope I look that good. I love her smile.

Last night I had my own "aha" moment about our home literally being a temple. Where does most of my revelation come? At home. My kids aren't old enough to visit the temple, but they are here daily & Heavenly Father should be able to visit them at any time. I have to keep that option open by keeping the Spirit here constantly. I love that we are all on our own level of finally figuring things out that we've been taught all our lives.
I too am recommitting to sharing the gospel & overcoming fear or whatever it is that keeps me from doing it. I love that you shared your testimony on your blog. You inspire me.
I was just put in Young Women's for the first time & there is something powerful about this age group. Heavenly Father has been really working me over this week trying to get me ready for it & Satan has really been tempting me this week trying to get me to fail miserably. The powers of good & evil are real & are aimed right at the youth of the church, their parents & leaders. I think I better go blog about this since I am going to have a longer comment than your post.
I love you Kaighty & thank you for your help to express some of what I'm feeling. Keep sharing the gospel, you've changed my day & my life. =)